Monday, September 30, 2013

Toner and Sugar Scrub

     Fall is the season I come alive both figuratively and literally.  I was born in October in the wee hours of the morning.  It seems to have set the pattern for my life. I am a morning person.  I wake early and create what I need to before most people (or most people in my house) are awake.  That may be cleaning, cooking, medicine or beauty products.
     Saturday morning I was up making a fresh batch of toner and vanilla sugar scrub.  For the toner calendula flowers need to steep in hot water a few hours.  The water is deeply colored from the orange blossoms.  I mix it with witch hazel.  I use this daily as part of my beauty routine.

     The sugar scrub is a combination of coconut oil and sugar.  I usually add a few drops of essential oil but this time I used vanilla sugar.  Any time I use vanilla beans I take the pods and stick them in a jar of sugar.  This infuses the sugar with flavor and a heavenly scent.  I often use this in cooking for added flavor.  In one of those middle of the night inspirations I thought to put it in the sugar scrub.  Yum!  It smells divine.  The sugar makes it a gentle exfoliater as opposed to a salt scrub.  It can be used any where on the body.  I'd use a little caution on the face though I tend not to use it there.  Friends who have tried the sugar scrub have come up with additional uses. I have one friend who uses it on her bikini line after shaving to prevent those little red bumps.  I must say I was skeptical at first but it really does the job.  Another uses the scrub on his dry itchy psoriasis patches.

      I also started three batches of tincture.  These will be steeped for six weeks and are part of a menopausal formula.

4 comments:

  1. I'd love to try some of the toner. Where is it available?

    Somewhere down the line I'd enjoy reading your thoughts & experiences with tinctures - making them, using them, comparing with other vehicles for herbs (oil infusion, teas, etc). I've worked very little with tinctures and would like to learn more. Maybe it's part of my new experimentation with alcohol as an essential oil carrier, i.e., perfumes, that has sparked this curiosity. Not important why, really. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I deliver locally, you can pick it up or I can ship it.

    I would love to talk tinctures with you.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you